Refer a Dispute to the Copyright Tribunal

Proceedings in the Copyright Tribunal are initiated by completing an application form and sending it to the Secretary of the Tribunal.

Who can refer a dispute?

In general, only the person seeking a copyright licence can refer disputed matters to the Copyright Tribunal.

However, where the tribunal has already made a decision in a particular area, the collecting society as well as the licensee may apply to the tribunal to change that decision, usually on the grounds that circumstances have changed materially since the tribunal last considered the matter.

Any party to a tribunal hearing may appeal against its decision, but only on points of law.


The standard fee for an application to start proceedings in the Tribunal is $50.

Cheques must be made payable to the Accountant General. You can find a complete list of fees in Schedule 2 of the

How to apply

You need to complete the following application and submit it with a statement of case and the required fee.

Please refer to the

 for further details concerning procedures.